Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Took Me 10 Years to Get Here

It took me ten years to get here... and I am ready to share my travels!

I have been teaching for ten years. Looking back it seems like an unbelievable span of time until I start recounting the stories.  It wasn't until now that I realized/accepted that it is ok and normal to laugh.  Laugh at myself, my experiences and the things that I have been exposed to.  I also want to tap into the vast minds of my fellow teachers, online and off.  TOGETHER we WILL change the world.

So why "Life In The Middle"
When strangers or new acquaintances ask me what I teach, I proudly state that I am middle school math teacher. Typical the responses is... "Ohhhhh" or "Ugh, I hate math" or my personal favorite "Did you have a choice?"  Honestly as a green teacher I would have accepted anything as long as it came with a paycheck.  Two years in I knew I was hooked.  Middle school is a fabulous mix of hormones, fears, excitement, curiosity and laughter.  When I introduce myself to other teachers I often joke that I teach "Social Skills and Organization".  I then laugh at my own joke and add "Oh, you might know it as Middle School Math".  

Ok... but why "Life In The Middle"?
When deciding what to write about and who my audience was I realized it could be anyone that has ever felt stuck/trapped/placed "In The Middle".  Yes, most of my posts will be about teaching middle school and the hilarity that takes place daily.  But I also wanted to write about balance in all aspects of life and how I am still trying to find it.

Need more? 
Check out my Teachers Pay Teachers store at http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Sarah-Elkins
Check out my Pinterest at http://pinterest.com/mselkins/
Coming Soon... my Elkins Math Lab facebook. That't the next step.

Feedback?
I would love some on any of my posts or social media outlets.  Even if it is just a "wave" letting me know that I have reached people and I am not just talking to myself.  My goal this year is to become the excited teacher I was ten years ago with the knowledge and experience that I have today. 

~Sarah

2 comments:

  1. Great intro to your blog. The title made me curious :) You really do have to love those middle schoolers and humor is the best way to deal with hormones that is for sure! Christianne is working in the school district as a speech pathology assistant and comes home with the funniest and most heartbreaking stories. Good luck in this new journey of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cyndi,
    Thank you sooooo much for my FIRST comment. If I wasn't living it I would think so of my daily stories were made up. Thrilled to have an outlet to start sharing!

    ReplyDelete