Friday, November 9, 2012

"You are strict, but with a smile"


I went to cover another class today and was welcomed graciously with "You're our sub? YES!” I laughed a little because it is always nice to have a group excited to see me.  Although I was then admittedly nervous that they then thought they were going to goof off and it was going to be an easy day.  I said good morning and started in on the lesson.  I was at an advantage because the class belonged to my neighbor who also teaches 7th grade math.  I took attendance, explained the directions for the activity, identified common errors and started passing out papers. During attendance I asked a gentleman to sit down and take out the appropriate materials without losing my place in attendance.  I had a tough tone but did not threaten or berate him.  As I passed out papers I corrected student’s behavior as I went making it clear that my expectations were high and we were going to have a productive class. As I was making my way around the room I noticed a young man looking at me with a grin. As I approached him I asked him if the thought making him grin was worth sharing.  He then said “You are strict, but with a smile.” I nodded my headed reflecting his grin and then he added “I kinda like it!”

This moment stuck with me and generated a question I felt worth exploring.  Students, children in general really, thrive in environments where there is structure.  How do we capitalize on this desired outcome and still give them the freedom to ask questions, make mistakes and explore on their own with self-driven curiosity?  As I visited classrooms this month it seemed to be one or the other.  Some classes were very rigid and the student work production was high and of good quality. Other classes were freer and measuring progress was not as easy or quantitative. However these students were driven to figure out the answer to the problem they had been presented.  Is there a right way? Has anyone found the balance?

No comments:

Post a Comment